Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Serious dehydration vs. DC public bathroom faucets

So I woke up at 6am to get to work by 6:45 to meet a coworker for a nice morning run around the district. Getting out of bed was rough, but once I was up it was fine. I am not looking my best at that hour, but I can accomplish a good run. Exhibit A:

I know you love my sweet headband!

Anyhow I was out the door at 6:10am. Impressive, I know. I should have known things weren't going to go smoothly that morning when I was skipping down the stairs of my apartment building eating a banana and 2/3 of it broke off and fell on the floor. I picked it up and considered still eating it. I thought, "it was only there for a couple seconds." Then I thought, "ew Taylor dogs live in this complex." I tossed it. Phew.

I got out of the metro in DC and realized it was already HUMID! Boo. How rude. I got into my building just before 6:45am to meet my coworker. We headed out and I assumed we were doing the same six mile route as last week. Wrong. It was still six miles, but we went off roading on grass, down to the Kennedy Center, and into freakin' Arlington! Hey, why don't I just go back to my apartment and shower at this point?! So we hit mile three and I am getting into a groove. Mile four I start to experience some chills. Odd, huh, considering it's 7 something and 28376743 degrees outside and as humid as a gas chamber. Whatever, not much I can do, but run! I finally tell my coworker I need water. We have a little over a mile left. He says there are some around the WWII memorial. Three water fountains. Three fails. NONE WORK! KILL ME NOW. I had to bite the bullet and go into a public restroom and just let the water go into my hands and then into my mouth. Please note I did not put my mouth near the faucet, but still gross. Well, I survived and finished the run in 53 minutes. Not bad considering I was on the verge of fainting and we stopped three times!

So I looked it up and chills are a sign of serious dehydration. If you experience chills, disorientation, or severe cramps you should stop running. Ooops! Better luck next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between the sweatband and the angle of the camera, I'd venture to say you have quite the forehead.

Taylo said...

Very nice, NATHAN!!