Monday, December 5, 2011

Fail Fail... WIN!

Two fails this weekend. The first one was Ram Racing's Hot Chocolate 15k/5k at the National Harbor Saturday morning. The race was set to start at 8am so my friend and I left my place in Arlington just before 6am. Everything was just dandy until we approached the location where we were going to park. Dead stop on the highway and we were still a couple miles away. We needed to park by 6:45am so we could catch the shuttle. Well, we got there right at 6:45am and all was fine because they obviously realized things were running behind as there were plenty of shuttles. We got to the race at 7am so we had an hour to kill. Good and fine since I don't like to be rushed for races. Even had time to take some photos!

So there I am ready to run and there's a view of the harbor, kind of. Well, there was MAJOR traffic getting into the venue and it was blocking part of the 5k course. Yeah, real men of genius designed that course! The announcer was the worst as he kept saying, "about five to ten minutes until we get this thing going." Umm, no. The 5k was supposed to start at 7:30am and it started at 8:30am. So the 15k, which I was running, started at 9am. AN HOUR LATE. I also didn't plan on standing in the cold for two hours so as you might imagine I got a little chilly in that outfit. This was only the beginning of the worst. My toes were numb for the first three miles of the course, a very strange feeling. The course was AWFUL! We ran the first 5 miles on a legit highway, interstate, whatever you want to call it. AND they left a lane open for traffic. I was dodging semis, mack trucks, douche in a BMW, breathing in exhaust fumes, and looking at signs for 495, 295, Route 1.

Hey guys, let's take this run onto 295! #safe

We finally got up to the harbor and that was okay, but the course was just still so dumb--narrow, off road, on road, sidewalk. Ridiculous. I am pretty sure my dead cat (RIP Miss Kitty) could have designed a better course. This was definitely not a course for a PR as you had to weave in and out to get around people because it was so crowded. I still finished in an hour and 20 minutes so not great, but not bad.

Then we have disaster number two: ACC championship and the Hokies. Holy hell what an awful showing. There's really nothing good to say about that effort! However, the joke was over the next day when we got the invite to the Sugar Bowl! Honestly, better bowl than the Orange Bowl anyway! Better location and better opponent. It's just so funny because of all the hate about it too. I swear some people just love to hate the Hokies. Sure there are teams out there I don't really care for, but I don't actively spout hate and hope they lose. Lots of people do that to the Hokies and to them I say SUCK......... OUR SUGAR! Haha. And today was all about how undeserving we are and this is a travesty. Hoooookay, what about Michigan?! And what about the fact that this is all about money anyway just like everything else in this greed riddled world!? I mean Bernie Madoff might as well be running the NCAA and BCS because it's all about getting the suits more money for their yachts, summer homes, luxury cars, and other non-necessities. So do we deserve to go to the Sugar Bowl? No, not really, but we're going so STFU and I'll be cheering them on with my hater blockers on. PEACE.

No comments: