Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sleep, or lack thereof

I am hoping that writing this will help remedy my recent insomnia. I started having sleep issues about a year and a half ago, but through a lot of stuff I was able to improve it. In fact, it was really good this past summer and fall. Then winter hit, which is always the worst season for me, but it still wasn't as bad as it has been.

Yet, for some unknown reason my insomnia has resurfaced the past three weeks. It's not that bad as I can usually fall asleep by 1 or 2am, but that sucks when you start trying to sleep at 11pm or 12am. It sucks even more when the alarm clock goes off at 7am. It's better than it was at its worst when I didn't fall asleep until 4am some nights. The thing that's bugging me is I cannot really pinpoint as to why I can't sleep! I am not particularly stressed--really very little stress. I am not anxiety ridden, although that is the time that I worry the most. It's like as soon as my head hits the pillow it starts..."Did I pay x bill?" "What do I have to do at work tomorrow?" "Is the door locked?" "Oh, I am going to wear those pants to work tomorrow with that shirt." "Why did X say X?" Haha, so as you can see nothing that important, but obviously not very helpful when you're trying to sleep.

What usually helps is going out on the couch and lying out there. I usually fall asleep and wake up after a bit then get in my bed. That is obviously not ideal though. What are your remedies when you cannot sleep?

No comments: